Friday, June 23, 2017

Schooool's Out for Summer!!

I know most of my peers have already been singing this song for the last two or so weeks but being a teacher in New York with Regents taking place mid summer, yesterday was officially the last day of school! Although, there was a definite lack of learning taking place during this whole last week, the positive activities that enhanced social interactions and teacher student relationships can not be forgotten. The students and teachers really get to 'know each other' again in the last few days and leave on a good note so I'm all for the laid back few days of school.
However, these last few days brought to my attention a common problem with summer-the regression of skills. For some of my ELs, the regression of their English skills very much concerns me! I'm still worried about the academic skills such as reading level and math slipping but with the lack of practicing English over the summer could make the beginning of next school year another adaption period for them. As fate would have it, my Google Alerts brought me an editorial from D&C Democrat & Chronicle (Part of USA Today) entitled School's Out but Learning Must Stay In.  The article points out that research shows students from low-income families lose two to three months of learning throughout the summer. This demographic group is majority if not close to all of my ELs' families so two to three months is beyond huge! If I think about my ELs that entered the country and district starting in September and taking two to three months of their learning and English practice away, makes me shake with anxiety. My ELs learn so much and progress their English more every week, every month, and huge progress in one year! To think that as they left me yesterday, they would be losing skills is stressful and sad. 
So, what can I do as an ESL teacher? What did I do knowing this threat already? I spoke to my parents, arranged conferences, and sent home materials that I hope they take advantage of. I spoke to parents about keeping their children involved in community activities such as library happenings, going to the park, or going out for ice cream in town. I know from just driving by after school that I see many school aged children at these parks that my ELs could interact and continue practicing English with. For some of my students traveling back to their native countries for the summer, we printed out books from ReadingA-Z (Explore It! Reading A-Z) that they could use over the summer and practice with while away. 
Academically, there are many resources for them to use as well. In the editorial, the author discusses the use of appropriate educational apps on Smartphones to keep students sharp on their skills. The author suggests checking out community events as well and even your school's website for summer enrichment programs. Lastly, the author points out that during the summer the most important people to help regression are parents! That learning and fun can be done together and just be on the look out for learning opportunities! 
I don't know about the rest of my peers, but I know if my ELs' families try their best to attempt to give their students' English speaking practice and academic skills, I am one happy teacher! (And maybe can enjoy the sun now!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bittersweet Truth

When I say that I really loved this course this semester and it has been possibly one of the most motivating classes I've ever taken, I ...