Thursday, June 29, 2017

Did She Just Say Watch TV for Homework?

Did you re-read this blog's title twice? Are you thinking I've gone A-Wall for summer? Well I haven't! This year when I started my new position at Maine-Endwell as the second ESL teacher, I observed my co-worker setting goals with her students and the process of how they were going to reach these and she always had them write and recommended to parents for them to watch English speaking television shows. At first, I questioned it because normally as teachers we encourage family time and practicing skills but the more I observed how it helped with English speaking skills the more I became an advocate for it being a tool (not a babysitter as Ferlazzo says). So imagine how excited I wasto get a Google Alert from Larry Ferlazzo updating a post he made entitled 'The Best Popular Movies/TV Shows for ESL/EFL (& How to Use Them). 
In this post, he first discusses HOW movies and Television shows can be a useful technique in the classroom for ESL/EFL. He says that these movies or t.v. shows should never be shown for more than 10 minutes in one class period and it should be connected to the 'theme' that is happening in class. I believe these two things right from the get go show how it is a tool, not a 'babysitter'. 
He offers an instructional lesson he uses movie clips for which I would love to try next school year. It's called 'Back to the Screen' and one EL watches the movie clip with no sound and has to dictate to the other EL what is happening. Great engaging activity, on the moment thinking, and communication! 
The rest of the post he discusses some resources and lastly, gives his recommendations for best movies and T.V. Shows plus some readers' input. Some might seem old school but I like it because there were a few that are similar to countless others that could be shown as well. Movie suggestions include Father of the Bride and The Pink Panther. T.V. shows include America's Funniest Home Videos and Mr. Bean. I know my ELs would love both of these T.V. shows and could provide many teachable moments from them. The great thing about his list too is he doesn't just list them-he tells you WHY you should use them! 
At the end of the post you'll find a link to download from David Deubelbeiss that is a guide to the best ways to use video in your English language classroom. It's definitely worth a save if not a print!
As always, I love Larry Ferlazzo and highly recommend his weekly email subscription or an alert for his blog especially if you maybe new to ESL or intimidated at times. He's a great writer and knows his stuff. 
And finally, I leave you with a compilation of Mr. Bean's most embarrassing moments. Although, I do not recommend showing this whole clip to a class as some of it may be borderline inappropriate for school, he does do a good job of showcasing how NOT to act in our society and that is what leaves us with a teachable moment. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Bittersweet Truth

When I say that I really loved this course this semester and it has been possibly one of the most motivating classes I've ever taken, I ...